top of page
  • _

RepIDs requested over the telephone

Changes to authorization validation for representatives over the telephone

In order to share confidential taxpayer information over the telephone with a representative, the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) validates that the person receiving this information is authorized on the taxpayer’s account. Therefore, as of January 2021, all representatives (including any employees) that are associated to a firm, business or group, must provide their RepID when calling the CRA on behalf of a client, and those RepIDs must be associated to the business or employer. This new procedure supports the Agency’s mandate to safeguard the security of confidential taxpayer information by allowing our agents to verify that the caller is associated to an authorized representative (e.g., an accounting firm) on the taxpayer’s account.


This change does not require that a new authorization request be signed and submitted by a taxpayer. The person with administrative rights on the firm’s account (BN) or the GroupID can associate any new RepIDs to the BN or GroupID, as needed.


Anyone needing to register for a RepID may go to

4 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All

Canadian departure Tax

Departure tax When you leave Canada, you are considered to have sold certain types of property (even if you have not sold them) at their fair market value (FMV) and to have immediately reacquired them

Taxable benefits

A gift or award that you give an employee is a taxable benefit from employment, whether it is cash, near-cash, or non-cash. However, there is an administrative policy that exempts non-cash gifts and a


bottom of page