top of page
  • _

information of GST/HST registrant

Generally, GST/HST registrants have to collect the GST/HST on all taxable (other than zero-rated) supplies of goods and services they provide to their customers. You do not charge GST/HST on these zero-rated supplies. But you may claim ITC on these purchases.

Exempt supplies – are supplies of property and services that are not subject to the GST/HST. GST/HST registrants cannot claim input tax credits to recover the GST/HST paid or payable on expenses related to making exempt supplies. But public service bodies can get rebate for GST/HST they paid related to making the exempt supplies.

You do not have to register GST/HST if:

• you are a small supplier (that does not carry on a taxi business);

• your only commercial activity is the sale of real property, other than in the course of a business. Although you do not have to register for the GST/HST in this case, your sale of real property may still be taxable and you may have to charge and collect the tax. For more information, see Real property; or

• you are a non-resident who does not carry on business in Canada.

• a sole proprietor or partnership or a corporation and your total revenues from taxable supplies (before expenses) are $30,000 or less in any single calendar quarter and in the last four consecutive calendar quarters; A public service body (charity, non-profit organization, municipality, university, public college, school authority, or hospital authority) is defined of $50,000. A gross revenue threshold of $250,000 also applies to charities and public institutions. See Guide RC4082, GST/HST Information for Charities.

Please note if you choose not to register, you do not charge the GST/HST (other than on certain taxable supplies of real property), and you cannot claim ITCs.

Determining the effective date of registration for small supplier, please see



3 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All

Canadian departure Tax

Departure tax When you leave Canada, you are considered to have sold certain types of property (even if you have not sold them) at their fair market value (FMV) and to have immediately reacquired them

RepIDs requested over the telephone

Changes to authorization validation for representatives over the telephone


bottom of page